Sunday, October 18, 2009

Syrok -- Russian "Mini-Cheesecake"



For weeks, I stared in fascination and fear at the small packages labeled "syrok" at the local grocery store. They were in the section with yogurt and appeared to be targeted at children and women. "Syr" means cheese, and so I knew they were little cheese snacks, but I could not figure out why the packages advertised flavors like cherry, caramel, vanilla, apricot, and even chocolate. I imagined these syrok to be like string cheese, and I could not imagine how string cheese would taste with such sweet flavors.

On my first business trip, I found myself standing in a grocery store in Tatarstan with my Russian partner, trying to figure out what to eat for a fast lunch. Suddenly, I noticed the syrok packages. "What ARE these?" I asked her in horror. She laughed and told me to try one, assuring me that I would like it. I picked out one with apricot and bought it.

Outside the store, I opened the package and instead of the string cheese I had imagined, I found a chocolate-covered nugget of tvorog! Tvorog is often translated into English as "cottage cheese," but I think this gives an entirely incorrect impression of tvorog. In fact, it's more like a cross between American-style cottage cheese and cream cheese. It's a slightly sweet curd cheese that reminds me vaguely of the cheese in American cheesecake -- sweet, rich, and smooth. Russians eat it with sugar and cream for breakfast, baked into squares for breakfast or a dessert, or inside bliny (crepe-like pancakes) and pirozhki (pastries). I will write more about tvorog in future blog entries because it's a fascinating dairy product and one of my very favorites.

The syrok is a perfect use of tvorog and reminds me very much of American cheesecake. There are numerous versions of the syrok sold in grocery stores here, as you can see from the picture above. Almost all are coated with a thin layer of chocolate. Inside, some have tvorog that has been flavored with chocolate, vanilla, or some fruit, while others have unflavored tvorog with a fruit jam or chocolate filling in the center. My personal favorites are the the ones with jam inside and a graham-cracker-like cookie on the bottom of the "mini-cake." I think that caramel filling, chocolate filling, and apricot are the best I have tasted.

Below is a picture of the inside of a syrok. This one was flavored with apricot but did not have a jam filling. As far as I know, these syrok are a new, mass-marketed creation, but the idea likely goes back historically. People often make baked bars out of tvorog, and there are patties called "syrniki" that are made of fried tvorog. I will write more about these and other uses for tvorog in the future.



10 comments:

  1. I LOVE syrki! I'm so glad you discovered them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Syrki are delicious! I prefer the kind with just the plain, slightly sweetened tvorog inside the chocolate coating. That's the only kind that was available when I was growing up in the Soviet Union/Russia in the 1980's and early 1990's. The fruit, cookies, and other modifications of the filling seem to be a relatively new addition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, I have never tried the kind without chocolate coating. Whenever I think that I am buying a syrok without chocolate, it ends up having chocolate on the outside! I will search for some chocolate-free versions and taste-test them. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Katherine - I guess the way I phrased things was a bit confusing. The syrki that I was describing did always have chocolate on the outside - it's just that the only filling available was plain sweetened tvorog, without cookies, apricots, jam, etc. Come to think of it, there was another product that was called "tvorozhnaya massa," and it was sort of like a chocolate-less syrok except it was sold in larger packages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Irina. No, I misread your comment. I'm sorry! I have tried the kind with plain sweetened tvorog, but I think I prefer the cookies and jam. :) I have seen "tvorozhnaya massa" but haven't tried it. I'll check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw these in the grocery store in Atlanta (Buford Highway Farmer's Market) but like you said they market them as "cheesecake" but I like tvorog so much and not cheesecake so I shyed away from it. Now I am out on a mission to set some this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hii pls pls plssss can some1 tell me WHRE i can get the plain syrok irina just mentioned i remember having these when i was growing up in russia in the 90s the same plain ones irina is talking about!! i miss them sooo much!! i live in the UK now and have not had it for YEARSS pls pls some1 tell me where i can buy these online or in store i live near LONDON UK.!!! thank u v much!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are my favourite sweets. Are they available in usa? I love tvorog as well.

    ReplyDelete